Tuesday, January 23, 2007

A good book

I can't remember what day it is right now... but judging from homework I think it is Tuesday? Only Tuesday... I am really tired, I think I might be getting a bit sick, but no matter, we still have class and seemingly endless homework. I like this though. I am happy to be so busy, and I think next year I will look back on this time with good memories.
One of the first things they told us when we started was that the competition was getting into the school, now that that is over, we are all on equal ground and should help eachother. So the environment here is really friendly. It is strange that we are all only 90, but it is also nice. We spend our time in the basement of our lecture hall, affectionately or maybe masochistically called the dungeon. Each study group is assigned a study room, and study groups are 7 to 8 people. We all have lockers down here too. So this is basically where we all live.
So I just finished one of our reading assignments - a really good book, actually, "The Monk and the Riddle" by Randy Komisar. So I will give you two quotes from the book, that I really liked.

"With four to five months away from the habits and routines that I had chained myself to at home, this was a precious time. What was the sense of rushing down a beaten path with a map I had cribbed from others? This was my trip, my life, and I needed my own journey. I decided to throw away the itinerary and see where this might lead."
" Work hard, work passionately, but apply your most precious asset - time- to what is most meaningful to you. What are you willing to do for the rest of your life? does not mean, literally, what will you do for the rest of your life? That question would be absurd, given the inevitability of change. No, the question really asks is, if your life were to end suddenly and unexpectedly tomorrow, would you be able to say you've been doing what you truly care about today? What would you be willing to do for the rest of your life? What would it take to do that right now?"

I really liked both of these. During my time in Bulgaria I learned to focus less on my plan on more on my journey - to enjoy each day for what happened, the unexpected things - like my kids doing funny things in class or whatever may happen.... and take short unexpected trips to different places, not worrying so much. I was spontaneous somewhat before I left, but now more so. I am also way more relaxed. Time/deadlines don't bother me so much anymore.

While I used to stress about them, now I am calm as they approach.
As for what I am doing - I am happy. Although living in Bulgaria was difficult at times, although going to school here is a lot of work and little sleep, I like it, and I wouldn't change it. I think in Bulgaria I had the chance to do a lot of things, meet a lot of people that I would never have otherwise, and I think or at least hope I had a positive effect on them.

The book is about someone who is kind of a venture capitalist, and his life. It makes you think or evaluate where you are in life and what you are doing, so it was a kinda cool revalation to discover I really am where I want to be... although a little more sleep would be nice.

I am still bringing my camera with me... maybe tomorrow? I think I will just take pictures of inside IMD... lol
have a good night.

1 comment:

jamie said...

Hey Jen,
So glad to hear from you! I love reading your blog. I am glad you are enjoying Switzerland. School sounds very busy but it must be going by so fast. I have mailed you a letter and I am not sure if you are going to get it or not...let me know. Take care.
Jamie