Saturday, March 17, 2007

This weekend...


I have tons of work and things I should be doing right now - like possibly going to the grocery store because if I miss its narrow operating hours today, I will have no food at home all week. I debate how much this matters sometimes, because I am so rarely there and eat most of my meals here, but I like the whole "shopping" experience.
This week, Thursday, we had a course from an actor from London, about body language, public speaking, etc. He was absolutely amazing. He selected a few students to go to the front of the classroom, and within 5 minutes had them improved 100%. It was truly amazing. For one student, who tended to over use the umms, uhs, the actor set up two chairs about 10 feet apart. As he walked between the two chairs he was to think about what he was going to say - and when he arrived at the chair, he was to say one sentence. After this excercise he regave the speach. It was a complete difference, from the removal of the ums, and uhs, to the tone of voice.
Today was a pit stop meeting with a VC (venture capitalist). IMD organised a meeting with him to review our start-up projects, to make sure we are on the right track, and to get some guidance and input from an expert on how to improve our value offering. It was really interesting, and he had some very good ideas on how we can improve bringing our disposable syringe to the market.
This evening I will be going running. As there is little time to find a gym - as the IMD gym is nice, but doesn't have as much equipment I would like, I have started running everyday. It is actually quite nice, it gives us a break from the inside of the building, and breaks up the day between class and study group. My friend Paul and I go everyday, but more and more people are starting to join us to varying degrees and a few different running groups have started. We generally run along the lake and it is beautiful, especially on clear days; the Alps and Evian are right across from us, and the tops of the mountains are snow covered. Generally, because we go around 6 we also get to watch the sunset as well, which for the past few days has been all sorts of yellow, reds and oranges in a pink and blue sky.
IMD actually took it easy on us this week, with very little homework - but we have a few papers and projects due the next two weeks leading up to exams, so I should really not be thinking of this as 'free' time. Exams start next (two weeks from yesterday) Friday and run all the through the following week. The longest will be Finance - for 5.5 hours!!!! Then it is vacation :)
Well 2 hours until my personal development coach session so I should get going... The personal development is a stream/course/elective that we are offered, with a psychoanalyst to develop ourselves and how we interact with people. I have gone to one session so far, which was interesting, we have a total of 20.
Have a good week :)

4 comments:

Joel said...

Hmm...very interesting. I can see why IMD is such a well-regarded business program now. You are certainly getting a more rigerous education than I did at little, old University of South Carolina. I wish you luck, and keep up the good work!

stevienotv said...

Hey, Jen. Sounds like you're enjoying business school! I was never really concerned that you'd be able to handle the obviously frenetic pace of IMD, but what are you supposed to do once you get out of there? I might be poisoned by the 10-15 years cycle times for helicopter development here at SA, but can anyone work efficiently for long at your current intensity level?

Running along Lake Geneva must be an awe-inspiring view. I remember being in Edinburgh a few years ago, staring at Edinburgh Castle from across a park. People were walking by, ignoring this sight, as if it was a package store in downtown Shelton.

Enjoy your vacation!!

jkd said...

Hey lady,
Email me if you are in London!
Would love to catch-up.
jkd

Joel said...

Hey, it's been 3 months with no new posts; what is happening in the life of Jen? Your audience awaits! Write something, even if just a short summary. ;-)